Zalmay Khalilzad, US Special Representative for Afghanistan, says the US military will open five military bases in the first phase in the form of a peace deal with the Taliban.
According to Representative Khudai Noor Nasir, Zalmay Khalilzad arrived in Kabul September 1, where he held two meetings with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani late Monday. Zalma Khalilzad shared the draft of a peace agreement between the US and the Taliban with the Afghan president, Waheed Siddiqui, the Afghan president’s spokesman in Kabul, said at a press conference on Monday. According to the spokesman, the Afghan president will inform US officials of his position after consultation on the draft.
According to Kabul sources, Zalmay Khalilzad also met with Afghanistan’s chief executive, Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, and after meeting with Afghan officials, Zalmay Khalilzad will reach Islamabad where he will ask Pakistani authorities about the draft peace deal. I will also inform
In an interview to local TV channel TOLOnews in Kabul, Zalmay Khalilzad said that the United States would withdraw 5,000 troops from Afghanistan’s five military bases in the first 135 days after signing a peace deal with the Taliban.
However, he said, the draft peace treaty would only take effect if President Trump endorsed it.
“On paper, we and the Taliban have agreed on a peace deal, but that agreement will be implemented when the US president is pleased.”
Meanwhile, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid also said in a written message to the BBC that under the interim agreement nearly 5,000 US troops would be evacuated.
At present, there are 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan fighting the longest war in US history. US President Donald Trump said last week that 8,600 US troops would remain in Afghanistan, despite a peace deal with the Taliban.
According to Zalmay Khalilzad, the date and place of the inter-Afghan talks will be announced in the next few days after the US President’s endorsement. According to him, there will be a war reduction in the areas where US forces will be exposed.
However, he said it was not intended to be a ceasefire because the ceasefire would be discussed in international talks.
According to the US Special Representative, there is a ‘red line’ in negotiations with the Taliban, and that the United States will never want a system in the name of the Islamic Emirate in Afghanistan and no one is allowed to do so. They have to take such a step.
After the Taliban era in Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001, the Taliban still write the name of their organization ‘Emirate Islamia’.
According to Zalmay Khalilzad, he too used the word “Emirate of Islamia” in talks with the Taliban, but said that the United States recognizes Afghanistan’s democratic government and treats the Taliban as a group.
Remember that on August 22 this month, the ninth visit between the United States and the Taliban began in Doha, which continued until September 1 at the delegation level.
On the other hand, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the suicide car bombing in Kabul on Monday evening, according to a Reuters news agency. The attack left five dead and dozens injured.
It is clear that the attack took place at a time when US Special Representative for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad had arrived with the Afghan president to discuss the key points of the peace deal between the United States and the Taliban.
Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi said the attack killed five people and injured 50 others.
The attack took place near the ‘Green Valley’ compound in a highly secure and sensitive area of Kabul. Representatives and officials of international organizations reside in the area.